Modern Foreign Languages
The intention of the MFL (French Years 3 & 4 and Spanish Years 5 & 6 )curriculum at Bisley C of E Primary is that children are taught to develop an interest in learning other languages in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating. We aim to build children’s confidence and strive to stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language.
We aim to develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries, comparing and contrasting with British values. We also aim offer curriculum enrichment opportunities beyond lesson time. We strive to embed the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing necessary to enable children to use and apply their language learning in a variety of contexts and lay the foundations for future language learning.
Our MFL curriculum is designed to progressively develop children skills in languages, through regularly taught lessons. Children progressively acquire, use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary organised around topics. We follow the ‘Oak Academy’ Scheme of work to ensure coverage and progression across school. All our children in KS2 will experience approximately 20 half hour lessons of language learning each year. French in Years 3 and 4 and Spanish in Years 5 and 6.
Children are encouraged and supported to develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing activities and games. As confidence and skill grows, children record their work through pictures, captions and sentences. We support language learning by:
- Using displays to remind children of key vocabulary
- Planning practical activities, songs and games to help improve memory and recall.
- In the classroom where possible instructions are given in the target language to expose children to the language as much as possible and in day to day contexts. (date and month written on the board in French/Spanish and English)
- Visual prompts are used to support children in translating new vocabulary.
- Extra-curricular opportunities for learning French and about France are offered to KS1 during French club at lunchtime and KS2 during Learning Beyond the Classroom – French Café. (This is yet to be restarted due to COVID 19)
Assessment of progress:
- We strive to ensure that our pupil’s attainment is in line or exceeds their potential when we consider the varied starting points of all our children.
- Children have a French folder which they take with them through the school from Y3-Y6. This will contain any written work completed showing progress and also giving them the opportunity to refer to work studied previously when topics are revisited.
- Teacher assessment is carried out orally and additional support given to those children that need it.
MFL teaching is monitored by the subject leader and faculty leader throughout all year groups using a variety of strategies such as French folder scrutiny, lesson observations, staff discussions and pupil interviews. Feedback is given to teachers and leaders use this information to ascertain progress and also to ensure that we achieve our main aim to develop an interest in learning other languages.